Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Random News!

So it's only been a month, but 25 posts in I have a new respect for daily columnists: finding something to talk about every day is a bitch. Even Dear Abby must eventually just want to tell the eight thousandth woman who hates her mother-in-law to cram it.

So while some ideas brew, a few recent newsworthy issues:

1. Warner Brothers nixes female lead roles. This has since been strenuously denied, which makes sense because it's hyperbolically ridiculous. The Brave One does bad, so it must be because female-oriented films aren't profitable? What? I thought it might have done poorly because our long national-love affair with movies that begin with violent murder and rape is over.

If this is confirmed, I would even have to agree with a Warner Brothers boycott. (uh, except for The Dark Knight. I'm only human).

2. The Hobbit gets kinda sorta maybe eventually perhaps closer to being considered to be made. Entertainment Weekly arrived for me today with a picture of Gollum on the front and a blaring headline; "RETURN OF THE RINGS?"

Don't get people's hopes up, dammit. The court fining New Line cinema $125,000 for failing to turn up evidence doesn't really seem like a breakthrough to me. If it turns out to be a snowflake that starts an avalanche, that's just great. But let's not get too excited.

3. The Rock = funnier than Ben Stiller. Hey, both The Heartbreak Kid and The Seeker tanked. I think I may go out and celebrate.

No comments: