Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Movies to Watch on Halloween

Happy All Hallow's Eve, everyone. In honor of my favorite holiday, a brief list of the films I enjoy watching.

Before we begin, though: I am not a horror fan. At all. I've seen The Exorcist, and I appreciated the artistic qualities of Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, but that's about as far as it goes.

1. Shaun of the Dead

A film of many faces. A standard slacker-loses-girl, slacker-grows-up-and-gets-girl-back romantic comedy, a horror film, a parody, and really just all around clever.

My favorite aspect of the first Edgar Wright/ Simon Pegg film is that the screenplay wraps back in on itself in so many fun ways, from "you've got red on you" to the word "exacerbate." And it has a much better cast than a straight-faced zombie film normally would, inlcuding Bill Nighy and Lucy Davis (of British "The Office" fame).

2. Donnie Darko

Beyond it's great high school elements, Donnie Darko also happens to be set around Halloween. And while that's no more than mild related to the story in a thematic way, it does provide for everyone to be in costumes on the day that the world ends.

And, thanks to time travel, Donnie gets to spend a month with the creepiest bunny ever.

3. The Frighteners

This pre-Rings Peter Jackson film holds a special place for me as one of the first films that I ever paid for with my own money, and bought of my own accord: a used copy for $3.99 from the bin at Randall's.

And no matter how creepy the hologram cover was, it's mostly just funny. I mean, if I could see ghosts, I would just use them for a scam too.

Also, what does Trini Alvarado do for work now that she can't coast on her amazing ability to look like Andi McDowell?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trini Alvarado was most recently seen in the Academy nominated film "Little Children" with Kate Winslet.

Agnes B said...

Woo-Hoo for some Frighteners love!