Friday, November 2, 2007

Trailer Report: Atonement, No Country For Old Men, The Bucket List

Hey, it's a multiple post day, since I feel bad about being delinquent earlier this week. These are the trailers I saw last night in front of Gone Baby Gone.

Atonement



An early awards contender, and it looks good. Spot on casting of Romola Garai and Saoirse Ronan as the same character- or at least a great job on hair and makeup to get them to look exactly alike.

I'm excited, not least because I liked the Wright/Knightley combination in Pride and Prejudice. In fact, I suspect that I like that more than almost anyone, because I haven't seen the A&E version with Colin Firth.

No Country For Old Men



Dude. Yes. Sign me up. The bare-bones border lunacy of Cormac McCarthy's novel with the Coen brothers attention to detail and dark humor? How awesome can this be?

I for some reason have an impression of Javier Bardem as an amazing actor, but all I've ever seen him in are trailers (for The Sea Inside and Goya's Ghosts). But still, he looks legitimately terrifying in this.

Hopefully this will open in Milwaukee before the 21st, on which I'll be traveling for Thanksgiving.

The Bucket List



When I first read a synopsis of this, I was pretty skeptical, but it looks okay. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman play themselves (a irascible coot and a wizened walking voice-over) doing all the things they want to do before dying.

Hopefully it'll be more than the episode of "Touched By an Angel" than it seems. But I did enjoy the line "Nobody cares what you think."

And for the record I was shocked, shocked, that this trailer had no Trailer Voice Guy. Kudos.

2 comments:

notemily said...

count me in as "almost anyone." I haven't seen the colin firth version either, and I almost don't want to because I love wright's version so much.

Duncan Carson said...

For real. Who ever watches A&E anyway? People who want to see "The Sopranos" with no curse words? Losers.